[Tig] Google buys Youtube

Dave Pickett pickettscharge at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 9 22:25:03 BST 2006

Google just payed US$1.65 Billion for online video provider Youtube.  The
move "catapults the Internet search leader to a starring role in the online
video revolution."

It seems the infrastructure is being built to continue to provide more
content online than on air.  An online video revolution.  I argue that this
is a superior choice for home viewers/consumers.  The regional monopolies of
Comcast, Time Warner, etc. force consumers to purchase the bundled content
with countless poor viewing choices.  Further, to fit all of these poor
choices down the pipe, all channels are overcompressed and suffer.  As in
Hong Kong last year we will see online content providers outgain traditional
broadcast providers in viewership.  The google move could also imply current
programming as well as ALL past programming be available for purchase.

The question for colorists might be "will delivery of data/video via
broadband and displayed on LCDs bring superior imagery to homes, bars and
restaurants?"  If it can be uncompressed 1080, 2048x1556 or greater then I
think the answer is an emphatic yes.