[Tig] LAD Prints!!

Jim Houston jim at power.net
Mon Oct 23 21:14:30 BST 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 5:13 PM, Saiprasad wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Need some advice. When a DI is done and the print is viewed in
> butterfly mode with the Digital source, there is a difference seen
> and that
> is attributed to the printing process and the developing process.
> This gets
> to be a Russian roulette scenario. Is it common and how does one
> deal with
> it.

Yes, very common.   The digital source should have had some form of
print-emulation
applied to it.  (Often a Truelight box).   When looking at a lab
print, you can then
enter the data for that print into the print-emulation (LAD grey, and
the developed gamma of the neg)  These will get rid of the biggest
differences.

If instead, the recorder was somehow calibrated to the digital
output, you
would have to apply an offset to the digital files to make it look
like the daily print
to see if you are close.

Even when the tech side is all working, there will still be a slight
difference in
color between the digital and the film print.  The film print may
appear slightly
warmer (maybe a yellow tint), and it will look softer as well.

> What about the projector lamp color variation as well. is there a
> way to
> filter the color temperature of the film projector or as am I being
> silly ?

This should be taken care of in the digital side setup so that it
matches the film projector.
(I am assuming here that the projector is "normal" giving a color
temperature
somewhere between 5400-5800K.)   You can try to filter the film
projector
somewhat for overall color temperature,  but you can't get the level
of control
you would need to adjust, say, 1 point of magenta.

> Is there a way to profile the film projector just as we do the digital
> projectors and accommodate the drift into the equation. If there
> are any
> solutions out there could you share them either on or off list.

The calibration drift on the film projector is not as critical as it
is on the
digital projector.   The film projector only has a white point which
will change
(become warmer)  as the power level is increased to the lamp.  The print
density colors however all move in proportion to the white point.  On a
digital projector, the change in the white can effect the primary
color positions to
a greater degree, thus need more attention in calibration.

> Does the
> film print look a bit more softer (film look) without really being
> soft ..
> you get what I mean ..

Jim Houston
jim.houston at mindspring.com