[Tig] Grouping XLR outputs to a stereo signal

Michael Poimboeuf mkp at poimboeuf.com
Sun Oct 29 02:48:07 GMT 2006

Daniel ,

You might saturate (i.e. overdrive and clip) the input in the case you
describe since you're going the opposite direction to what I described.
While you could spend the money to put a mixer in between, for instance
the M-Audio NRV10, models from Digidesign (that I won't quote since I
designed them), or the ones you quote, you could just as well insert a
balun transformer. By far the best for BetaSP to DV-DVCAM decks in
particular, and for Pro to Consumer levels in general that I've used is
the Jensen PC2xR:
A balun with a transformer like this gives you fantastic CMRR hum rejection.

For the application that Andreas was asking about you could also use a the
PC2xR, but you wouldn't see a huge improvement in performance since the
CMRR is at the inputs to the balanced equipment, not the other way around.
If he simply wires it the way I described, it will work fine.

And... if you're going from pro (+4dBu) to consumer (-10dBV) levels, and
you have a level control, you could also just turn it down ;-) But again,
that's not what Andreas described.

Michael Poimboeuf
mkp at poimboeuf.com
Consulting Engineer, Digidesign/Avid
mkp at digidesign.com

gold at duplicorp.com wrote:
> If you use such a cable to interconnect a BetaSP for example to an
> unbalanced input in a DV-DVCAM deck or similar you'll saturate the
> input because of the voltage mismatch.
> It's better to use a low cost small mixer...
>mkp at poimboeuf.com wrote:
>>If your mixer is unbalanced, the best way to make the connection
>>between the balanced and unbalanced equipment is to use a >>_balanced_
cable. Connect the "hot" (+) wire to the + connection, >>on the XLR 
(see AES14 and check to see which one of 2 or 3 is hot
>>in your equipment), and connect...

More information about the Tig mailing list