[Tig] need info on creating a lut from scratch , from a linear image

patrice Barrette patrice at hybride.com
Fri Sep 8 13:38:54 BST 2006

hi there all

is there a document or can you tell me where i should look  to find
information on creating a lut from scratch , what i mean is we have a
linear image , that was completely created in 3D and adding 2D subject (
filmed in 35 mm )  , and we have some night shot ( very low detail and
hard contrast  ) and we have some full sunny one , so what i would like
to find out is what are the specification to have a linear image re-map
to log and that the person that is doing the printing is going to have
all the range of the image , loosing minimum information , so what are
the thing's to do , and what are the thing's to avoid .

we did some feature FX and where happy whit the result ( Sin City, World
of Tomorrow, Spy Kid's , ect ), but i would like to be mo precise in
doing the lut .

the image can be SGI, TIFF,HD , 2K  , 10 bits or 12 bits but is going to
finish on film .

so thank's in advance for all your help

Patrice Barrette
Senior colorist  ( Lustre )