[Tig] BRRE - Peter Swinson this must be you

Dominic Case cased at atlab.com.au
Tue Sep 12 23:33:48 BST 2006

It's hard to resist the conclusion that Peter hasn't been talking to
Australian scientists in the following article. I'm sure the BRRE chronicles
in the annals of this forum would be of assistance in their project.

The report discusses the need for resolution - and the computer modelling of
liquid flow apparently uses Maya - so this isn't an entirely off-topic
post;-)

_________________________________
Dominic Case
Atlab Australia
________________________________

Beer project is a lot of froth and bubble
Louisa Hearn
Sydney Morning Herald
September 11, 2006 - 12:22PM

Learning how to pour a beer is the latest challenge facing the CSIRO, which
hopes to devise a convincing animation of this great Australian pastime.

The project is part of a four-year venture to simulate realistically the
movement of water for the movie and gaming industries using complex
mathematical algorithms.

CSIRO research scientist Mahesh Prakash said the biggest challenge in
creating the animation of liquids was to capture the behaviour of motion,
foam, bubbles and splashes - and this is where beer comes in.

"One of our test cases is to look at the flow of beer. As beer flows into a
mug, it creates quite a few bubbles and then forms a foam on top, which
poses a very difficult challenge from a physics point of view," he said.

The now-completed first stage of the project recreated some scenes from the
sinking of the Titanic to illustrate how animation could depict the motion
of water.

Mr Prakash said that, to develop the animation, the CSIRO had to first
calculate water flow behaviours using extremely complex mathematical models
that were then rendered onto simulation software.

"To create this animation, we had to simulate the motion of a number of
different objects. That was quite challenging to do using proper physics and
is something we believe is quite unique in our simulations," he said.

Mr Prakash said the most difficult aspect was to develop adequate
resolution.

"If you have a lack of resolution in the animation, the fluid will look more
like flowing ice than water," he said.

He said the use of Computational Fluid Dynamics delivered greater resolution
by allowing animators to control every individual particle in a fluid,
rather than using a grid or mesh to give them shape.

The next stage of the project, due at the end of this year, is to animate a
number of individual activities such as the pouring of a beer, in order to
simulate other liquid behaviours such as formation of bubbles, foam and
spray.

At the end of the four years the CSIRO hopes to have built software tools
that will easily allow movie and gaming animators to convincingly recreate
fluid flows, waves, bubbles, spray, eddies and whirlpools.

The four-year project is being run in conjunction with the Korean
Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute.

Full article and link to a video here:-

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/beer-project-is-a-lot-of-froth-and-bub
ble/2006/09/11/1157826854112.html

This email message [including any file attachments transmitted with it ] is for the sole use of the individual  or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential or priveledged information.
Any unauthorised review,use,alteration,disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and destroy all copies of the original message.
 Any confidentiality or legal professional privilege is not waived or lost by any mistaken delivery of the email.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of the company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.