[Tig] Re: European aspect ratio 1.66:1

Ray's old jrmitchellj at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 17 17:38:07 BST 2006

It sounds like someone is reading something into the spec that may not
really be there.
Film scanners scan based on physical spot size, whereas in a telecine we
always sized to fit the active picture into the target TV aperture.
2k = 12micorn spot size
4k = 6micorn spot size.
In scanning a 1.66 or 1.37 element, a scanner will scan the full width of
the film, soundtrack and all.  The unwanted areas will be blanked, and often
resized in later processing.

Ray Mitchell