[Tig] color vision

TSassoon at aol.com TSassoon at aol.com
Mon Apr 2 07:26:53 BST 2007

In a message dated 3/20/07 7:11:15 AM, richard at filmlight.ltd.uk writes:

"We can see color differences even when the two objects we are comparing are
separated by a large angle."

Very interesting article on vision in this month's Scientific American:

"The Movies in Our Eyes
The retina processes information much morethan anyone has ever imagined,
sending a dozen different movies to the brain
By Frank Werblin and Botond Roska

We take our astonishing visual capabilities so much for granted that few of
us ever stop to consider how we actually see. For decades, scientists have
likened our visual-processing machinery to a television camera: the eye's lens
focuses incoming light onto an array of photoreceptors in the retina. These light
detectors magically convert those photons into electrical signals that are
sent along the optic nerve to the brain for processing. But recent experiments
by the two of us and others indicate that this analogy is inadequate. The
retina actually performs a significant amount of preprocessing right inside the eye
and then sends a series of partial representations to the brain for
interpretation.

We came to this surprising conclusion after investigating the retinas of
rabbits, which are remarkably similar to those in humans. (Our work with
salamanders has led to similar results.) The retina, it appears, is a tiny crescent of
brain matter that has been brought out to the periphery to gain more direct
access to the world. How does the retina construct the representations it sends?
What do they "look" like when they reach the brain's visual centers? How do
they convey the vast richness of the real world? Do they impart meaning,
helping the brain to analyze a scene? These are just some of the compelling
questions the work has begun to answer. ...continued at Scientific American Digital"

Tim Sassoon
SFD vfx & creative post
Santa Monica, CA