[Tig] Xsan

Mohamed Abdalla mabdalla at mabdalla.com
Tue Apr 3 20:26:37 BST 2007

Hello Dave

With regards to bandwidth ,if you're using X-raids directly without Xsan
filesystem ( formatted as HFS+ on Mac or NTFS on windows ) you can get
around 180-200MB/s per channel ( X-raid side ) so you can get around 360
MB/s with a fully populated raid

If you're using Xsan don't expect to get 180 MB/s from each channel on
your raid , it goes way down to around 80-120 MB/s per channel only
( at least this is what the Xsan instructor suggested , from real world
cases )
so it all depends on the number of arrays you have in your Xsan setup ,
the more arrays the more bandwidth you get

We have Xsan installation with 10 clients connected to it , our main
usage of the SAN is for SD work , but last year we had a DI project
which we used Xsan for storing dpx files on it to be shared across
different systems
Our main problem with Xsan was that because of the way it works with
metadata , accessing directories that contained thousands of files ( or
tens of thousands of files in cases where you have a whole film reel in
one folder ) was extremely slow
We ended up having to split reels in folders of few thousands of files
to get into a manageable state
simple as it sounds , it can cause you major problems if it conflicts
with your workflow
I recall another person in the xsan forum who's doing DI work had the
same issue
it's a good place to check about xsan
http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=810
also if you're considering Xsan , you might want to check
http://www.xsanity.com/

Good Luck