[Tig] Turner

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Apr 5 18:07:15 BST 2007

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Glenn Woodruff wrote:

> Also note that there's a huge amount of bandwidth rationing going on
> (basically the sports channels get gobs of it) and something like Turner
> (especially the classic station, which doesn't have a lot of viewers)
> getting less.

To make the issue more interesting, some broadcasters use a 35Mbit
downlink in a format less compressed than MPEG2 which allows doing
some image manipulation without adding much artifacts.  They then
convert the image to their desired HD format and compress on the fly.
That is what my local ABC station does.  My local NBC station seems to
forward the data more literally so that there is an obvious MPEG
transition when switching from local content to network content (e.g.
severe MPEG pixelation when switching to the Tonight Show).

There is no telling what cable providers are doing.  They have already
been jumping through hoops to obtain more "digital" channels from
their available bandwidth.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn