[Tig] When to use 444RGB or 444YUV for Dual link monitoring in a DI

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Aug 5 00:00:53 BST 2007

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, adrian hauser wrote:
> So given the above variables when does one select 444YUV
> or 444RGB for dual link monitoring. Aslo when working in
> YUV I have the options to work in full range 0 - 1023 or
> 'video range' 64 - 940.

When transforming from original RGB to YUV, there will always be a
loss of color since YUV supports a more limited number of colors.
This is likely an important consideration for when you want to produce
log output.

For video, Rec.709 defines the transform to and from YCbCr ("YUV") and
RGB.  It is primarily a YCbCr format which uses "video" levels.  For
Rec.709 video output you will surely want to monitor results in YCbCr
space with video range so that you will see the final colors.

As a golden rule, your viewing environment should match the target
environment as closely as possible in order to assure expected
results.  Note that if you are sure that your viewing environment
matches the final translation to the target device environment, there
may be an advantage to working in the original colorspace (while
monitoring in the target colorspace) since then you will throw as
little away as possible and it will be easier to retarget your work to
some other space.

The term "Full Range" RGB is not very meaningful except to imply that
the data is not using "video" levels.

Bob Friesenhahn