[Tig] When to use 444RGB or 444YUV for Dual link monitoring in a DI

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Aug 5 00:51:28 BST 2007

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, adrian hauser wrote:

> Thanks Bob,
> How much 'color' would you say is lost?

That is a very good question.  I know that it is answered somewhere in
Charles Poynton's tome "Digital Video And HDTV" but I can't put my
finger on it at the moment.  Perhaps it is answered in one of Charles
Poynton's papers at http://www.poynton.com/Poynton-color.html.

> Could this be defined as a loss of saturation as well.
> Some of my tests using the RGB Linear output method
> have given me a print with excelent reproduction of levels
> but over saturated to the tune of about 20%!.

Depending on how the RGB is defined, it could certainly be more
saturated than what Rec.709 is supposed to support.  If the results
are more saturated than what you are seeing on a calibrated display,
then there must be a flaw in the output translation.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn