[Tig] When to use 444RGB or 444YUV for Dual link monitoring in a DI

Simon Burley simon at rpsfilmimaging.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 08:41:24 BST 2007

> On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, adrian hauser wrote:
>>
>> So given the above variables when does one select 444YUV
>> or 444RGB for dual link monitoring. Aslo when working in
>> YUV I have the options to work in full range 0 - 1023 or
>> 'video range' 64 - 940.
>
> When transforming from original RGB to YUV, there will always be a
> loss of color since YUV supports a more limited number of colors.

That's not correct. The RGB cube sits inside the YCbCr cube.
Yes, loss of precision (assuming same number of bits in YCbCr as RGB) but
not a loss of available colour.

This is one reason for legalising video masters -- so each RGB display
device will not have to do it's own thing when presented with an illegal
YCbCr colour.

S.

--
Simon Burley