[Tig] When to use 444RGB or 444YUV for Dual link monitoring in a DI

ahauser at bigair.com.au ahauser at bigair.com.au
Thu Aug 9 01:11:59 BST 2007

Here is a more succinct question and hyperthetical.

I am monitoring a Job that will be output as a 709 HD deliverable.
For purposes of discussion I am monitoring 422 YCrCb 709 HD pics on our
A grade Sony CRT.

I will be passing my rendered linear DPX or TIFF sequence to an online suite
for mastering. My rendered files are rendered as RGB negating the
Viewing environment that is setup as REC 709.

Q1: What procedures can I take to ensure the Online suite
is 'seeing' the files exactly as I saw them in the Grading room.
(Assuming a perfect grading environment and aligned monitoring).
The online suites in question are Avid DS, FCPro and Flame.

>From past experience when trying this I have seen some very
slight RGB color channel offsets occurring, quite noticeable to the
trained eye.
One way around this is to output the sequence direct to tape
from the grading suite which is fine. It doesnt work so well
when trying to remain in this dreaded 'tapeless' workflow.

Trying not to open up too huge a can of worms. Lets not include quicktime
and PC's and Macs. Just color.

Adrian Hauser