[Tig] ZFS for DI?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Aug 14 01:01:03 BST 2007

Has anyone on this list used Sun's ZFS filesystem for DI work?  It
clearly has obvious advantages over some other filesystems for the
type of I/O that DI work needs.  In particular, it is really fast for
writing new files and reading existing ones.

Sun open-sourced the ZFS filesystem and it is (obviously) in Solaris
10, but is included in FreeBSD 7, will apparently be included in a
future version of Apple OS X (Leopard), and can be used as an inferior
(non-kernel, slow) filesystem under Linux.

Some benchmark papers comparing performance with some other
filesystems may be found at
"http://blogs.sun.com/Peerapong/entry/solaris_zfs_performance".  The
comparison with Windows 2003 NTFS was a real eye-opener.

The Wikipedia page on ZFS is at "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS".

I plan to build a fast disk system based on ZFS to see how it really
performs.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn