[Tig] ZFS for DI?

Simon Burley simon at rpsfilmimaging.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 10:00:52 BST 2007

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Has anyone on this list used Sun's ZFS filesystem for DI work?  It
> clearly has obvious advantages over some other filesystems for the
> type of I/O that DI work needs.  In particular, it is really fast for
> writing new files and reading existing ones.

Just been down this road...
Note that there are no finishing systems on FreeBSD or Solaris (that I'm
aware of...) Obviously any comparison under Linux is going to be flawed
due to ZFS running in userspace.

We're not in a position here to compare filesystems under OS X Leopard
(is anyone?)

The plan was to convert one of our 2TB Linux NFS servers to Solaris so
we could have some hands on play with ZFS - but then found out Solaris
doesn't have a driver for the 3Ware SATA RAID boards we use. So that was
the end of that.

We still have lots of SGIs in production. Great workhorses.

S.

--
Simon Burley
RPS Film Imaging Ltd