[Tig] ZFS for DI?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Aug 14 16:47:22 BST 2007

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Simon Burley wrote:

> We're not in a position here to compare filesystems under OS X Leopard
> (is anyone?)

Everyone I know who has experienced Leopard has done so under NDA.

The regular OS X filesystem is extremely fast to create (similar to
ZFS) and is pretty fast to write large files to.  It is not very
Unix-like.  For example, testing shows that the OS X filesystem does
not support sparse files very well.  It preallocates disk space for
blocks which are not actually used.

I tend to suspect that the OS X filesystem is fragile and trades
robustness for speed.  The optional BSD filesystem is more robust but
runs in user space so it is slower.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn