[Tig] color vocabulary reference

Dominic Case cased at atlab.com.au
Wed Aug 15 23:37:34 BST 2007

Rob

Somewhere I have a link to what I think is exactly what you are looking for.
Can I find it now? Of course not. Among other things, it lists colour names,
then shows chips of what that named colour looks like in various naming
schemes. That shows what a complex task you may have in front of you.

However, this is a pretty good portal for all sorts of colour information

http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Color/Science.htm

And it includes an interesting discussion of basic colour naming in
different languages

http://www.putlearningfirst.com/language/research/colour_words.html

And something a lot closer to what I believe you are looking for

http://users.rcn.com/giant.interport/COLOR/1ColorSpecifier.html

Finally there is a little freeware program called "La boite a couleurs"
which google will find for you. (Can't find the download link at the moment
but it's there somewhere. It offers a complete range of colours in RGB
values, and displays the colour itself, its RGB value, its HSV value, CMY
and CMYK values, a common name, and the nearest Pantone colour and number.
It also has a sampling mode where you can sample any colour on your screen.

Hope that is a bit of help.

Colour naming is an endlessly creative activity. My wife is currently
wearing nail polish of a particular shade called "Mrs O'Leary's Barbecue".
Not sure what that is in RGB.

Dominic Case
Atlab Australia