[Tig] color vocabulary reference

Rob Lingelbach roblingelbach at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:07:10 BST 2007

On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:37 PM, Dominic Case wrote:

> However, this is a pretty good portal for all sorts of colour
> information
> http://www.efg2.com/Lab/Library/Color/Science.htm

excellent, I'll include it on the TIG reference links page.
> And it includes an interesting discussion of basic colour naming in
> different languages
> http://www.putlearningfirst.com/language/research/colour_words.html

This is material for a dissertation, seems picayune to have it on the
TIG without further research.

> And something a lot closer to what I believe you are looking for
> http://users.rcn.com/giant.interport/COLOR/1ColorSpecifier.html
> Finally there is a little freeware program called "La boite a
> couleurs"
> which google will find for you. (Can't find the download link at
> the moment
> but it's there somewhere. It offers a complete range of colours in RGB
> values, and displays the colour itself, its RGB value, its HSV
> value, CMY
> and CMYK values, a common name, and the nearest Pantone colour and
> number.
> It also has a sampling mode where you can sample any colour on your
> screen.

there is a lot of room for improvement, in colorist-land, for knowing
the differences in
colorspace, in additive/subtractive color, and in nomenclature, which
last is (to me at least)
exiting the scientific realm and entering the philological.

> Colour naming is an endlessly creative activity. My wife is currently
> wearing nail polish of a particular shade called "Mrs O'Leary's
> Barbecue".
> Not sure what that is in RGB.

RGB subtractive.  Who was Mrs. O'Leary?  do I remember something
about a cow?  she is  immortalized in her specific color.

there must have been someone who did research on color nomenclature,
whose results would be accessible on the net.