[Tig] End Credits at the cinema

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Wed Feb 21 14:15:36 GMT 2007

I saw a film last night, Pursuit of Happyness (that's not a
misspelling), at the cinema in a small city in the interior of
Brasil.  Unfortunately the print was horrible- extreme amounts
of dirt, grain, barely visible portuguese subtitles, and the audio
was so horrible I couldn't understand the english.

This isn't that unusual for a small cinema though if common enough
would make me change my mind about the value of going to see
projected prints at a theatre.  But what put the icing on the cake
was that about 2 minutes into the end credits, the projectionist
stopped the film and pulled it from the projector.  The house lights
had already come up when the credits started (this is common in
Brasil: 99% of the time I am the only one in the theatre who watches
the credits) so they were hard to read, but when they stopped.. I
actually saw the projectionist pulling the film from the gate and
unloading the projector.  I went to the manager and asked nicely why
I couldn't watch the whole film (explaining that the credits are part
of the film) and he offered to re-run them for me, which was nice,
but didn't really address the point that it is theatre policy not to
run them unless someone complains.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever run across this in the US (I've
never even seen the house lights come up during the end credits in
the US) or in other countries.   Come to think of it there is a cable
TV channel that, after a few seconds of the end credits, swings them
into a small compressed window to the side of the screen while they
promote their next program, making the credits unreadable, and then
they don't even continue past the length of the unassociated promo.
It's frustrating if you're in the business and want to see who did
what, and hear the music chosen for the sequence, etc.

If anyone knows of a web reference where I can read about the
"failure of Credit Recogntion in feature films" I'd like to read more
about it.

Rob
--
Rob Lingelbach