[Tig] bulbs for the home

Chuck Harrison cfharr at erols.com
Wed Jan 3 03:51:21 GMT 2007

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Steven Bradford wrote:
> >
> >> I really can't understand why there doesn't seem to be the same
> >> degree of interest in tumble driers, which use about 40 times as
> >> much power as standard light bulb (per unit of time used of
> >> course).
> >
> > Probably because people don't run their tumble driers all the time. A
> > little bit run all the time uses much more energy than a lot on
> > occasion.
>
> The more likely reason is that the tumble drier problem has not been
> solved yet.  A similar situation exists for hot water heaters.

I have seen some promising info on ground-exchange heat pump
systems that handle domestic hot water as well as space heating/
cooling.

For the tumble drier I hear there is an advanced solution
known as "clothesline" :-)

I understand that power utilities assisted the original penetration
of CFL's in the US two decades ago because it made economic
sense to them. Interest rates were high, fuel costs rising,
pollution controls needed: building new generating capacity was
expensive. Spend a million dollars subsidizing consumers to
buy CFL's and you can avoid spending 20 million on building a
new power plant. I think Amory Lovins, the Rocky Mountain Institute
guy, was the key proselytizer.

Cheers,
  Chuck