[Tig] Super 16

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Thu Jan 11 13:00:57 GMT 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 10:47 , Dick Hobbs wrote:

> Rapid TV News - a newish online TV newsletter - is reporting that
> the BBC is banning the use of Super 16mm film for HD production (go
> to www.rapidtvnews.com - the story is on the front page at the time
> of writing). We have known for some time that Discovery Channel
> will not accept Super 16 for HD.
>
> Is this reasonable? I have certainly seen excellent Super 16 to HD
> transfers, although to be fair I have seen some really bad
> pictures, too.

If it were just the Discovery Channel I might suspect some kind of
collusion between the suppliers of HD video production gear and the
broadcaster, but I'd expect the BBC to be
well above that sort of thing.   It makes no sense to me at all,
given the potential resolution
of super 16 and the pictures it's capable of.   Is there an increase
in the number of 'bad' transfers lately?  I would expect the
opposite, as better telecines spread around the world.

Rob
--
Rob Lingelbach
http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html