[Tig] inexpensive cables.

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Jan 22 16:21:33 GMT 2007

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Greg D. wrote:

> like it'll ever get better but only worse.  As, like always, folks go for
> quantity over quality!  Dish is advertising that their HD sources use 3
> times the bandwidth of cable tv.  Doubt that'll really get too many
> customers though.

I receive all the HD channels that Dish offers.  Some programming
looks extremely clean and detailed while other programming looks
blurry or has artifacts.  As far as I am aware, Dish feeds HD signals
through as they were provided rather than re-compressing as they do
with the low-def channels.  That explains why a wonderfully detailed
image may be followed by a poor image on the same channel.

> Anyway, I'm really glad to have experimented for $10 instead of $70!  I
> think it's cruel of Best Buy to only offer a $70 HDMI cable to the gullible
> masses!!  Over priced cable sales are todays snake oil for sure!!!

In the analog world cables are often sold for high prices.  Some
cables have been sold for as much as $10K for a single cable.  Cable
manufacturers which build for the home theater market have applied the
same marketing approaches to "digital" cables, making them much more
expensive than they need to be.  The expensive cable is usually built
much nicer than a "computer" cable, but the digital signal usually
does not care.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn