[Tig] Mother F'in eavesdroppers on a plane...!

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Jan 26 16:08:32 GMT 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 bob at bluescreen.com wrote:

>> First, Bose are supposed to tune OUT the noise from other rows, not include
>> it.  So how would Bose help you hear what you're tuning out?  I don't have
>> Bose, but my pair are pretty good at getting rid of the neighbors' chatter.
>
> Noise reduction headphones do most of their work by eliminating noise which is
> constant, such as the relentless engine, air vents, and wind drone on a plane.
> They do this by picking up the noise with small microphones on both ears of
> the headset, amplifying it, inverting its phase, then feeding that out of
> phase signal to your ears, effectively countering the original noise. Once
> much of that is gone, what's left is mostly conversation, which is too
> irregular for the electronics to deal with.

Not even Bose offers the super-computer class collection of digital
signal processors which would be necessary to eventually analyze the
nuances of a specific noise environment.  This sort of processing
would never be portable.  Besides, noise on a plane is random in
nature and not constant.

While a pure noise canceller would work to counteract *any* sound in
the environment, it seems that Bose must have designed theirs to only
work for certain frequency ranges where annoying noise is often found
while traveling.  This way you can hear the stewardess when she asks
if you would like yet another glass of wine, or asks you to advance
toward the exit door at the rear of the plane.

Now what is needed are special glasses which cancel out the ugly parts
of images, such as MPEG noise, blur, or banding.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn