[Tig] 6500 v 9300

Bob Currier rcurrier at synthetic-ap.com
Mon Jul 2 16:47:40 BST 2007

On Sun, Jul 1, 2007 12:11 PM, Ken Robinson <ken at flight4.org> wrote:

>I am beginning to question everything.. Just had a new Sony CRT delivered.
>Came with 9300 set, and the same went for two Panasonic plasmas. And to boot
>I am finding more and more domestic screens cold.
>
>Not to mention clients who colour correct and then complain when they get
>their stuff home (so to speak).
>
>Would someone please restore my faith in the industry standard?

This is one of my "buttons":

There is a standard and it's 6500K.

This has nothing to do with making the image in the grading suite match
the image at home. Instead, it has to do with consistency so that all
our 6500K standards-based grading will appear compatible when shown on
Aunt Millie's badly mis-adjusted 9300K TV.

If some of us are grading on 6500K monitors and some on 9300K monitors,
things will look rather poor indeed when they air back-to-back. Not only
will commercials not match the programming, but commercials won't match
each other.

Besides, Aunt Millie likes her over-saturated, blue look. If you start
making that look "normal" she'll think you broke her TV.

-----
Bob Currier                                  rcurrier at synthetic-ap.com
Synthetic Aperture                           voice: +1 949 493-3444
Helping Make Your Work Look Its Best         fax:   +1 949 203-2108
                                             web:   www.synthetic-ap.com