[Tig] Photosynth Demo--Semi OT-A "Wow... will you look at that" technology demo

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Thu Jun 7 06:48:31 BST 2007

Howdy from warm and breezy Northern Calif.  Hope the world where you
are and you are well.

Here's the direct link to the TED Conference website and the demo
Timothy Huber posted.
Here's the link: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/129

Jeff "also a TIG subscriber" Kreines posted it in another moving
image forum.

It really sparked a discussion... some of a  "Wow, will you look at
that!" nature. Others related to how this could affect copyrighted
material.

The examples used involve still photos available from the web.  Got
me thinking about this concept applied to moving images.

The description of the TED talk begins:

"Using photos of oft-snapped subjects (like Notre Dame) scraped from
around the Web, Photosynth creates breathtaking multidimensional
spaces with zoom and navigation features that outstrip all
expectation. Its architect, Blaise Aguera y Arcas, shows it off in
this standing-ovation demo."

TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. "It started out (in
1984) as a conference bringing together people from those three
worlds. Since then its scope has become ever broader," according to
the "about" page.

Ted "No connection to TED" Langdell (although I'm close enough to
Monterey to easily attend...)

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:   (530) 741-1212