[Tig] FC color 1.0

Joe Owens jpo at prestodigital.ca
Wed Jun 13 17:45:19 BST 2007

We Final Touch users have a general consensus that what the FCP
client base is seeing as "Color 1.0" is approximately FT 2.8-something.

      They've attempted to off-load the scopes, gave us curve
corrections up-front, and a more navigable timeline --for example,
it used to be really difficult to sort out what keyframe belonged to
what room, or even if you had any sometimes.  And it would prevent
you from making any further changes, because its un-daVinci like in
that you have to be parked directly on top of a keyframe to program
it, rather than anywhere in an event... stuff like that...

      The user interface is a bit Shake-like, isn't it?  Especially
in the ColorFX room.  Some history...  the app was originally
designed for frame-sequence (dpx/cineon) work, and "pretty" wasn't on
the agenda.  I suppose that's next.  But....   I dunno...   Shake has
retreated from the public eye... Motion3 has some of its more
attractive nodes, but someone here said that it just feels like a
"dumbed-down" version of the app (Shake) that you should be using, if
you really need control.  I hope that COLOR doesn't get "dumbed
down"...  for that reason I'm keeping my original license of FT
running on my backup system.  Spend enough time in the mine field and
you just "get used to" not stepping on the ones you know are
there...   ;)

   As far as really slow render times go...   it all depends on your
system, specifically your GPU.  A MacBook Pro is guaranteed
frustration.  The app takes steroid-enhanced muscle power.  Plain as
that.

      Simple possession (now that we're on drugs) of software does
not constitute a colourgrade environment.  Probably 2% of the final
hardware and environmental mix to make a business of it.

  Joe Owens
Presto!Digital Colourgrade
302-9664 106 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H0N4