[Tig] FC color 1.0

Mel Matsuoka mel at montaj9.com
Wed Jun 13 22:33:29 BST 2007

On Jun 13, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Alexis Hurkman wrote:

> Actually, Apple implicitly grants permission. Check out the second
> paragraph of the copyright page of the Color manual:
>
> Copyright © 2007 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
> Your rights to the software are governed by the
> accompanying software license agreement. The owner
> or authorized user of a valid copy of Final Cut Studio
> software may reproduce this publication for the purpose
> of learning to use such software. No part of this
> publication may be reproduced or transmitted for
> commercial purposes, such as selling copies of this
> publication or for providing paid for support services. Final Cut
> Pro, FireWire
>
> This is true of all of Apple's manuals. Tell Kinkos to put that in
> their pipes and smoke it. It should be valid.
>
> -Alexis

Thanks for the tip, Alexis...I just got off the phone with Kinko's,
and I swear to god, it was as if I was asking them to print out a
copy of President Bush's secret travel itinerary or something. Even
after I informed them of the "permission" blurb on the copyright
page, the stoned undergrad who took my call still insisted that I
needed to get written permission from Apple.

After I patiently and politely explained to her that she was, in
fact, absolutely out of her fricken' mind, she put me on
hold...finally coming back after a few minutes to tell me that her
boss finally gave the okay to print it.

I'm all for protecting the rights of copyright holders, but there's
something seriously wrong with our culture when people are afraid to
exercise their Fair Use rights (or in this case, *helping* someone
else exercise said rights), even when the original copyright holder
has granted explicit  permission for them to do so.

--
Mel Matsuoka
Chief Science Officer