[Tig] OT-Audio levels for theatrical use from digital post

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Jun 18 17:25:07 BST 2007

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:   (530) 741-1212

Now with 3GHz MacPro powering Final Cut Studio

Pardon the OT post, but I know folks here will have suggestions or
referrals to references.

A gentleman in another forum is seeking info on whether there are
"standards he shouldn't be overlooking" when sending the audio he
just finished posting for a feature length documentary. The doc will
be playing at this weekend's LA Film Festival.

Jeff writes:

"It is possible it will go on to limited theatrical release after
that as well.  This is the 1st feature length project I've worked on
that will screen in theatres.  I just want to be sure I'm not
overlooking any standards I should be conforming the audio to before
delivery.

Is there a  nominal/reference level that is expected when delivering
for theatres?  ie, RMS at -18dB.  Or is this not really relevant?

The movie is being delivered on Digibeta for the festival
screenings.  Don't know what it may be transferred to for any
releases after that."

I'll pass any info on to the OP.

You can e-mail me off list, or if you think it's appropriate, reply
to the list.  Might be useful as many people seem to be collecting
additional hats to wear, these days.

Thanks, and hope you're all having a smooth Monday... unless it's
Tuesday already where you are.

Ted.