[Tig] 5242 film stock question

Dominic Case cased at atlab.com.au
Tue Apr 1 23:46:10 BST 2008

I think there is about 10ft extra in any roll, to ensure that they aren't
accused of delivering under spec.

Rule of thumb for length is to square the core diameter in inches, subtract
the square of the core diameter and multiply by 12.  That will get you
within about 1%, for acetate base stock (5242).  So a 10" roll on a 3" core
would be (10x10 - 9)x12, or 1092 ft.

For polyester base(2242), the factor would be around 14, not 12. A 10"
polyester roll would be (10x10 - 9) x 14, or 1274ft.

I used to have a brass measuring stick which had a stud that located in the
centre of the core, and was engraved in feet for a 2" core on one edge, for
a 3" core on the other edge. It was very useful when I needed to know that
sort of thing.

Dominic Case
Atlab Australia