[Tig] Wikipedia statement needs editing?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Apr 2 16:01:03 BST 2008

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, David Tosh wrote:

> Maybe not. You could read this as a rough comparison of _projected_ 35mm
> film to 1920x1080 HDTV. Consider the poor quality maintenance of
> projectors in your local theater, low light levels reflected from a
> dirty screen and high speed printed release prints. Measurements
> presented at past SMPTE conferences found around 500-700 lines per
> screen height of on screen resolution. Certainly worthy of comparison.

A good point.  Of course it is then worth mentioning that quite a lot
of "HDTV" is not captured or stored to preserve 1920 pixels across and
that loss occurs even before the video gets into post-production.
Maybe it is stored with only 1200 pixels across with subsampling and
compression as well.  It may then be re-compressed to a quality not
much better than DVD.  There are a huge number of factors influencing
the actual resolution of HDTV (and of film).

My local news station has been in HD for the past year and the images
from the studio are far better than from portable HD cameras in the
field.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn