[Tig] Wikipedia statement needs editing?

Owen Williams owilliams at powderhouse.net
Wed Apr 2 16:47:22 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 10:01 -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> A good point.  Of course it is then worth mentioning that quite a lot
> of "HDTV" is not captured or stored to preserve 1920 pixels across and
> that loss occurs even before the video gets into post-production.
> Maybe it is stored with only 1200 pixels across with subsampling and
> compression as well.

The HDTV productions I work on shoot DVCPRO HD, which is 960 pixels
across, not even 1280.  As long as it looks better than SD that seems to
be enough.

>From my personal (unscientific) experience, projected film lacks detail
even compared with 2K DLP projection.  Perhaps there exists a
properly-calibrated film projector somewhere that can resolve all the
detail on the print, but it doesn't exist at the cineplex.

owen williams