[Tig] Wikipedia statement needs editing?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Apr 2 17:15:51 BST 2008

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Owen Williams wrote:

> The HDTV productions I work on shoot DVCPRO HD, which is 960 pixels
> across, not even 1280.  As long as it looks better than SD that seems to
> be enough.

I am not sure that even qualifies as "HD".  The result is likely not
any better than a DVD once it finally gets to the consumer.

HD quality on the "pay" channels has been all over the map.  Quality
on HBO has gotten so bad that I am thinking about dropping the service
entirely.  HD should always be better than the DVD version.  It should
not be a blurry blocky mess.

It seems that HD is in the same state as cell phone service here in
the US.  Everyone advertises that they offer the best service but
there is no system in place to evaluate quality so the reality is far
different.  Whether it be statistics of dropped calls, or scrambled
pixels, we need end-to-end measurement standards with an independent
organization in place to make those measurements and tally the
results.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn