[Tig] Wikipedia statement needs editing?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Apr 2 18:45:04 BST 2008

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, Rob Lingelbach wrote:
> what a golden opportunity that would be, for an independent (of course
> there's no such thing) provider that would measure quality of signal, in
> terms of dynamic range, freq. response, etc.    To be honest, the analog
> cellphone I had in 1990 was 10 times better in audio quality than anything
> using CDMA or whatever.

The interesting thing is that it is possible to do a pretty decent
evaluation of image quality across many frames without ever seeing the
original image.  MPEG block noise is pretty easy to spot.  Blur
filters and average horizontal/vertical resolution are pretty easy to
spot with a fourier analysis.  It should be possible to evaluate
actual bit depth as well.  Unfortunately, without specialized
hardware, such analysis would be very slow.

It the end it all comes down to who is willing to pay for the service
(as usual) rather than if it can be done.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn