[Tig] D5 Compression

Mark Quod markq at primepost.com
Thu Apr 3 22:45:06 BST 2008

Recently I noticed some rather nasty looking compression artifacts on a
D5 tape.  The compression appeared as large digital blocks in the
darkest parts of the image. One shot that looked particularly bad was
of a star field.  Around some of the more faint stars blocking was
apparent.  I had to turn the brightness up a bit on the monitor to see
it but it was definitely there.  The source was an HDCAMSR 4:4:4 which
looked clean.  I know the compression rate is lower in HDCAMSR but I
was surprised at how bad the D5 looked.  Has anyone else noticed this?

Mark