[Tig] D5 Compression

DCFWTX at aol.com DCFWTX at aol.com
Fri Apr 4 00:44:18 BST 2008

In a message dated 4/3/2008 1:50:39 PM Pacific Standard Time,
markq at primepost.com writes:

> Recently I noticed some rather nasty looking compression artifacts on a
> D5 tape.  The compression appeared as large digital blocks in the
> darkest parts of the image. One shot that looked particularly bad was
> of a star field.  Around some of the more faint stars blocking was
> apparent.  I had to turn the brightness up a bit on the monitor to see
> it but it was definitely there.  The source was an HDCAMSR 4:4:4 which
> looked clean.  I know the compression rate is lower in HDCAMSR but I
> was surprised at how bad the D5 looked.  Has anyone else noticed this?
>
> Mark

Mark,

How did the channel conditions look at the time of the blocking? It is not
unusual to occur in D5, and could be recorded in that way without a channel
condition error indication (at least that has been my experience).

David Crosthwait
DC Video
Archive Videotape Re-mastering
177 West Magnolia Blvd.