[Tig] tig:CSI Latest UK Series !Quality!

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Apr 9 17:36:14 BST 2008

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Peter Swinson wrote:
> I know it is a long time since I communicated here. Have been busied
> elsewhere!   It's good to be back.
>
> Last night I watched on UK Freeview Digital TV, the latest CSI: Crime Scene
> Investigation series, well latest to the UK.
> I know I am only watching SD TV,  RGB component, on 16:9  32" CRT, but the
> quality was atrocious.

Welcome to modern times.  Just this morning I was reading an editorial
in EE Times (a trade magazine for electrical engineers) which
described how video and audio quality is rapidly degrading.  It is not
just people in the business who are noticing these atrocities.

It seems that quite often video quality is intentionally degraded
(e.g. for major feature films) but there is not much reason to degrade
CSI except to free up some some bandwidth for yet another Pay Per View
(PPV) channel.

Considering the fine work done by colorists on this list, I think that
it must take someone with a seriously flawed character (perhaps more
suited to working as a salesman at a used car lot) to knowingly
broadcast such a corrupt version.  Such people should immediately exit
the industry and take up a job at the used car lot or selling life
insurance.

As more "HD" channels are added, I notice that overall quality is
reduced.  While HD channels are added, the number of SD channels does
not seem to diminish.  Instead new and existing HD channels are
further compressed so that the result is like a poor-quality DVD and
sometimes as bad as VHS. Only a few channels seem to survive unscathed
as a reminder to us what "HD" actually looks like.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn