[Tig] tig:CSI Latest UK Series !Quality!

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Thu Apr 10 15:22:14 BST 2008

>It seems that quite often video quality is intentionally degraded
>(e.g. for major feature films) but there is not much reason to degrade
>CSI except to free up some some bandwidth for yet another Pay Per View
>(PPV) channel.

I don't think that's where the bandwidth is going. PPV requires a lot of work
at the head end, keeping secure track of tapes, billing, watching purchases to
see when a feature is no longer drawing sufficient interest to be kept in
rotation, etc., whereas adding another shopping channel or another Fox channel
(how many damn Fox-owned channels are there, anyway? Seems like DOZENS) paying
for carriage is sooooooo much simpler.

The other thing to keep in mind is that satellite services, in general, have a
menu of bandwidth options the originator can choose from, so if they want
nicer images, they have to pay more money each month. Guess how that plays
out.

We'll be back to '60's standards of excellence in no time at all.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTEĀ® compositing.