[Tig] tig:CSI Latest UK Series !Quality!

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Apr 10 22:38:50 BST 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Dick Hobbs wrote:

> Last time I did the arithmetic, a megabit a second of satellite
> bandwidth is about $250k a year. So broadcasting SD in 2Mb/s instead
> of 4Mb/s, or HD in 4Mb/s instead of 8Mb/s makes a big difference to
> the bottom line.

Does this explain why the video on the CNN channel looks no better
than the shopping channels even though CNN seems to be able to afford
the best furniture and lots of employees?  If the content provider
could influence the quality of the video, I would think that surely
CNN could do much better.

On Dish Network, it seems that CNN does pay a extra for a special
"Enhanced CNN" menu mode which displays the video in a small part of
your screen in order to achieve a lower grade image (with yet more
scrolling headline text).  It does not take the viewer long to notice
that the feature is mis-named.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn