[Tig] tig:CSI Latest UK Series !Quality!

Bob Kertesz bob at bluescreen.com
Fri Apr 11 15:21:06 BST 2008

>> a megabit a second of satellite bandwidth is about $250k a year
>
>Lest anyone think that AVC's performance increment over MPEG-2 is
>inconsequential.

And having spoken with several people whose responsibility it is to feed their
networks' output to the carriers, please let me point out that any fantasy
about MPEG-4 increasing the viewer's quality experience should be immediately
discarded.

The plan is to use MPEG-4 to compress things much more heavily, maintaining
the current level of picture "quality" (more or less), pay less for carriage,
and allow the carriers to add more channels.

It's a win-win-lose proposition.

Guess which part of that trifecta is the consumer.

--Bob

Bob Kertesz
BlueScreen LLC
Hollywood, California
bob at bluescreen.com

The Ultimate in ULTIMATTE¬ģ compositing.