[Tig] Ikegami FED prototype at NAB2008

Mark Quod markq at primepost.com
Wed Apr 16 18:29:20 BST 2008

I just got back from NAB. I saw the prototype FED monitor display at
the FED booth  (not sure of the booth number but it was in the back of
the south hall downstairs.) I was quite impressed.  Side by side it
looked very close to the Sony CRT display, except with the geometry and
sharpness of an LCD.  Actually it looked a bit sharper than LCD
because, if I understand correctly, it actually displays interlaced
fields like or similar to conventional CRT displays, so there is no
blurring of moving objects as fields are blended.  Blacks looked very
rich in their darkened booth, but did seem to pick up ambient light
outside on the floor--not unlike most CRT's.  They only had a 20"
display and it wasn't yet full HD resolution, only 1280 x 960.  It
still looked quite sharp, however.  I also did notice a slight color
difference which could have been a calibration issue, but the FED
looked a bit richer to my eyes. It will be interesting to see where
this leads.

Mark Quod