[Tig] Ikegami FED prototype at NAB2008

Dick Hobbs dick at hobbsonline.tv
Thu Apr 17 01:32:49 BST 2008

Yes, I was quite impressed with the FED display, too (heaven knows
there is nothing else at this NAB to get excited about).

My understanding of the nano-Spindt field emission display technology
(there's a phrase which will be dropping off all our tongues soon) is
that it is effectively many, many millions of tiny CRTs inside a flat
panel: the brochure says more than 10,000 emitters for each pixel. It
can justifiably claim to match SMPTE phosphors because it actually has
SMPTE phosphors inside.

As Mark said, all they have on display are some 20" prototypes. I was
told about a year before they get to production, although someone with
whom I have compared notes thought it was 18 months. They think they
will be up to 26" panels by then, at a price point comfortably below
the Sony Trimaster. It will certainly be true HD, and the guy I spoke
to suggested that it would be compatible with Super Hi Vision, the NHK
4k television system.

I'm not a colorist so happily bow to superior knowledge, but it looked
pretty good to me. Some of the demonstration material was graded a bit
vividly for my reserved British tastes (FED are Japanese, a spin-off
from Sony) but the colour reproduction was good and the side by side
comparison with the BVM very good.

Dick

PS Talking of the Sony Trimaster, as far as I can see they only have
one of the new 42" monitors on the booth. I have stood in front of it
for probably 10 or 15 minutes so far and have yet to see a black.

Dick Hobbs
Consultant and writer on television and film technology
+44 1435 830988
Skype DickHobbs
dick at hobbsonline.tv