[Tig] Holographic Drive at NAB

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Apr 21 19:26:57 BST 2008

> On Apr 21, 2008, at 5:45 AM, Rob Lingelbach wrote:
>>
>> this drive and removable media gives 300GB storage and they claim life
>> of 50 years.  sounds pretty good for archiving video.  Cost is high
>> but should come down in the future I imagine.

Media life:   50 years
Drive life:   3 years
Support life: 7 years

Second two numbers are speculative but intended to illustrate the
question: "What is the meaning of life?".

Digital storage technologies have a limited life span, and the
limiting factor is rarely the stability of the storage media.

Regardless of the digital storage media used, the content of the media
should be migrated to the current format at least every seven years or
else it will not be accessable at all.  Many organizations will forget
to do this unless data is stored "on line" so that the data is
naturally migrated as the storage hardware infrastructure is updated.
What seems large today becomes small tomorrow.

Besides the need to migrate storage, redundancy in the storage is
quite important.  The means of redundancy is important.  For example,
if a work is saved twice to two different media, then if both copies
of the media decay, then it is important that the summation of the two
can be used to re-create the original, and the user is not faced with
both copies simply failing due to a "read error".  This implies that
we need a sort of RAID designed to be used with redundant removable
media.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn