[Tig] Archiving (was Re: Holographic Drive at NAB)

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Apr 21 22:38:02 BST 2008

On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:40 AM, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> There must be people working on this, at the least drawing up some
> standards, at the major film archives around the world, and I can
> think of two in the US that should be intimately involved: The Library
> of Congress and the UCLA Film Archives (the 2 biggest in the
> States).   Is anyone here on the TIG free to comment on the current
> situation for archiving, or the future-current, tidal current, or
> incipient tsunami of archiving technology?
>
> --
> Rob Lingelbach

There is an ongoing discussion about what media (or should that be
"mediums") to use for Archiving that pops up from time to time on the
AMIA list (Association of Moving Image Archvists) when people ask
"What should I use."

Go to http://www/amianet.org, then click on the participate tab, and
then the AMIA-L link.

Two frequent participants are Jim Lindner of SAMMA Systems (and
former owner of Vidipax, NYC) and Jim Wheeler, a former Ampex Quad
era engineer and now a consultant.

Lindner advocates transferring tapes to digital, and ultimately
backing up on LTO tapes.

Wheeler advocates transferring to mirrored hard drives and shelving
them.

Both acknowledge the need for migration (and keeping hardware
available and working for the migration process.)

The Library of Congress is using the SAMMA system for cassette-based
videotapes.

Reels of tape are something else.

In that vein, the informal lunch for Old VTR/Editor/Telecine users-
former users/maintainers/collectors I  organized on Tuesday at NAB
drew people with an interesting collection of experiences and interests.

It included the two people who head the film and video end of things
at the Library of Congress.  Their presence changed the outcome of
the gathering.

Most of those present have heavy-duty experience with Quad videotape.

The group has been asked by the LoC to share some of that experience
with others so that the huge amount of Quad archives there and
elsewhere can be migrated to newer media.

See post to follow Subject line:
Recap: Informal NAB Lunch for OldVTR/Editor/Telecine users/
maintainers/collectors

No connection to the manufacturers or other people named.

Ted

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:   (530) 741-1212

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

With 3GHz 4-processor MacPro powering Final Cut Studio