[Tig] Recap: Informal NAB Lunch for OldVTR/Editor/Telecine users/maintainers/collectors

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Apr 21 22:47:42 BST 2008

Re: Informal NAB Tuesday lunch of Old VTR/Editor/Telecine users,
fixers, collectors:

What started out as a purely social affair led to the group being
invited to help preserve for future use and access, the operating,
maintenance, design and modification knowledge relating to Quad tape.

This came from comments (passionate plea, actually) of Stephen Nease,
the Chief Technology Officer at the Library of Congress' new National
Audio Visual Conservation Center in Culpeper, VA. Nease heard about
the lunch during a morning business breakfast and cancelled an
appointment to attend.

He is seeking assistance from those present (and TIG members) to help
the Library  recover the programs from its HUGE collection of Quad
tape and the content in other archives.

Steve explained what the LoC was sitting on, and need for the
experience and knowledge of people like in this group to be passed on
to younger people so that the knowledge of how to recover the content
is not lost.

(Take "this group" to mean both those at the lunch, on this list, and
others who have quad operating, maintenance and design experience.)

LoC may have funding available for travel expenses for those
interested in presenting at workshops hosted at the new Culpeper
facility.

Attending:
•Bob Campbell, Colorist, Walnut Creek, CA, long-time telecine going
back to RCA TP-series and Quad at locations including Optimus,
Chicago, One Pass, San Francisco, Editel, SF, LA, etc.,
•David Crosthwait of DC Video in Burbank, CA, Archival Videotape
Remastering, linear and non-linear editor, formerly at Modern Film,
NBC, Burbank, etc.,
•William "Bill" Clark, Boulder City, NV, Long-time Quad VT engineer,
NBC, Burbank, Metromedia, Hollywood, CA, etc.,
•C. Park Seward of Video Park in Irvine, long time editor, production
co. owner, equipment collector/restorer
•Eduardo "Lalo" Zanetta, "The Quad Guy" precision head builder at
Video Magnetics in Colorado Springs,
•Stephen W. Nease, Jr. CTO, LoC National Audio Visual Conservation
Center, Culpeper, VA
•Kenneth S. Weissman, Head, Motion Picture Conservation Center,
Library of Congress, Dayton, OH and Culpeper, VA
•James Snyder, Senior Design Engineer, Communications Engineering,
Inc, Newington, VA, which has contract with LoC (Quad collector,
donated machines to LoC)
•Tim Stoffel, Asst. Chief Engineer, KNPB, Reno, NV, long time Quad
user/maintainer/collector/restorer, Google "Quadruplex Park,"
•Bob Campbell, Colorist, Walnut Creek, CA, long-time telecine going
back to Quad at locations including Optimus, Chicago, One Pass, San
Francisco, Editel, SF, LA, etc.,
•Ted Langdell, Ted Langdell Creative Broadcast Services, Marysville,
CA, prod. co. owner, film, tape and non-linear editor, telecine and
1" Type C machine and content collector

We missed these people:
My apologies to the half-dozen or so (including DuArt NYC Chief
Engineer Maurice Schecter) who gathered in the front of the food
court on Tuesday at NAB... and then couldn't find the table we were at.

We WOULD like to know who you are. Please e-mail me off list.

If TIG members with Quad chops are interested in participating,
please e-mail me, and we will get you connected, too.  Please specify
connector type, # of pins, male or female, etc... </humor>

Hope you've enjoyed NAB if you were there... and the group that
attended the lunch had a lot of fun and seems to want to do it again
next year.

Planning for the location and time of the 2009 informal NAB lunch is
going on now. Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

The group may (need to also) meet for a working dinner during NAB to
enable a more focused discussion on the subject of Quad Videotape
archiving and migration.

Links to lunch pictures to follow in a separate posts later this
week. (Playing catchup at the office today!)

Ted
defacto secretary

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:   (530) 741-1212

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974

With 3GHz 4-processor MacPro powering Final Cut Studio