[Tig] Archiving (was Re: Holographic Drive at NAB)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Apr 22 20:06:05 BST 2008

As some of you are aware, I am a fan of Sun's ZFS filesystem
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS) which includes considerable data
safeguards including various sorts of RAID, extra block redundancy,
and checksums of every block.  The holographic drive discussion caused
me to think about how ZFS could be used to assist with long-term
archiving.  I had an idea for how it could be done so I brought the
topic up on a ZFS discussion list.  One of the list members posted
this little recipe which jived with my own way of thinking:

> It would involve the following steps
> 1. create blank ISO images of the size of your media
> 2. zpool create wormyz raidz2 image1.iso image2.iso image3.iso ...
> 3. Move your data to the pool
> 4. export the pool
> 5. burn the media

So basically you create a temporary ZFS pool based on a set of
appropriately-sized disk-emulation files, copy your data into the
pool, and then copy the disk-emulation files onto the actual media.

With this approach you obtain the benifit of quite rigorous
checksumming combined with automatic repair algorithms which are
independent of the underlying storage media (which likely includes its
own block-level error correction).

If the Holographic drives are 300GB, then you can build RAID arrays
based on an arbitrary number of 300GB drives (or SAN LUNs), put ZFS on
top (takes a couple of seconds), copy the data to be archived to the
array, and then just copy the content of each raw disk to a
holographic disk for storage.  This approach obtains full RAID
performance.  Since the RAID array is fully usable, it can also act as
the working storage for the data.

There is an archive of the discussion topic at
"http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=58062&tstart=0".

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn