[Tig] Archiving (was Re: Holographic Drive at NAB)

Rob Lingelbach rob at colorist.org
Tue Apr 22 23:14:27 BST 2008

On Apr 22, 2008, at 10:06 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> As some of you are aware, I am a fan of Sun's ZFS filesystem
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS) which includes considerable data
> safeguards including various sorts of RAID, extra block redundancy,
> and checksums of every block.

 From what I've read, Sun is investigating a port of ZFS for Linux,
and the Google Summer of Code spawned a project to port it to Linux's
FUSE system, though it would have to run in userspace due to the CDDL
licensing not being GNU.

The wiki article you refer to also states that Apple's ZFS was
supposed to be "the filesystem for Leopard" but it looks like there's
still some progress to be made.

Now I wonder if I could get OpenSolaris to run as a 2nd boot option on
my Intel MacBook Pro.

--
Rob Lingelbach
rob at colorist.org    http://www.colorist.org/robhome.html