[Tig] Archiving (was Re: Holographic Drive at NAB)

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Apr 23 00:59:54 BST 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Rob Lingelbach wrote:

> From what I've read, Sun is investigating a port of ZFS for Linux, and the
> Google Summer of Code spawned a project to port it to Linux's FUSE system,
> though it would have to run in userspace due to the CDDL licensing not being
> GNU.

Sun is not investigating this although I am sure that they were
willing to answer questions.  This is the doing of others since it is
free open source.  I believe that the FUSE version for Linux should at
least be usable by now.  The FreeBSD port seemed to come along much
faster and is part of FreeBSD 7.0.

> The wiki article you refer to also states that Apple's ZFS was supposed to be
> "the filesystem for Leopard" but it looks like there's still some progress to
> be made.

Leopard comes with read only ZFS (essentially worthless) since it was
not ready in time.  There is a free writeable ZFS available for
download.

For Apple, just having functional ZFS is not sufficient.  There needs
to be "Spotlight" support, Apple-centric resource forks, and GUIs to
make it all manageable for normal Apple users.  Most important is that
since most Apple systems come with only two hard drive trays, it is
useful to have "bootable" ZFS so that ZFS can be used across both
disks and they can be used in a reliable mirror configuration.

> Now I wonder if I could get OpenSolaris to run as a 2nd boot option on my
> Intel MacBook Pro.

Actually, you can just install free VM software and run OpenSolaris
under OS-X.  This seems to be quite common for Sun instructors who all
seem to have Mac laptops and teach Solaris with it running in a VM.
I took a two day course like this and it worked out quite well.  It
took me a little while to figure out how the instructor did it.

http://www.virtualbox.org/ is one VM that runs on OS-X.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn