[Tig] Archiving (was Re:  Holographic Drive at NAB)

TSassoon at aol.com TSassoon at aol.com
Wed Apr 23 01:59:15 BST 2008

In a message dated 4/22/08 10:12:58 AM, bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us writes:

> These tape drives you like probably use specific interfaces which will
> require an archaic computer

Having worked painfully to recover material written by others from DTF2,
single tar over a couple of tapes, alignment problems, etc, etc, and having seen
what happens when the binder fails, I'm dubious of the infallibility of tape,
and out of all media out there, would place my best bet for longevity on DVD-R
5, cool dark sealed storage. Fairly stable dye and plenty of it, no head
contact, trillions of reader mechanisms, no special driver needed, etc.

If only DVD-R had a greater-than-trivial capacity, so that it could be used
for mass storage. Yes, there's Blu-Ray for a single order of magnitude
improvement, but much more than that is needed. I think what people are responding to
with InPhase are the positives of optical with a more reasonable capacity.

I don't have any inside knowledge, but my gut feeling is they'll get the
arrows, and someone else will get the land.

Tim "has never had an optical disc fail, except the ones left face-up on the
windowsill for a month" Sassoon
SFD vfx & creative post
Santa Monica, CA