[Tig] Archiving (was Re:  Holographic Drive at NAB)

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 23 18:42:10 BST 2008

On Apr 23, 2008, at 10:22 AM, timothy norman huber wrote:

> Like many startups ;-)  they are promising more capacity and greater
> speed in their roadmap.  That, and a ship date...

I thing the big attraction to InPhase is data density and the fact
they don't use dyes -- the laser just burns directly into the
polycarbonate.  Also, the disk doesn't "spin" -- it rotates to
different positions and a page is etched into it.  This might
simplify recovery of data in the future without having the actual
drive, though it doesn't sound easy.

My bet is the future is some sort of little cube filled with
holographs -- no moving parts, just lots of layers.  But obviously
the InPhase format is based on reusing existing robotic systems,
which is smart.  They are ex-Bell Labs-Lucent people, with lots of
patents -- not pikers.  But whether it works or not depends on
getting enough market saturation to make sure there are enough drives
out there.

Great idea, needs to be lots cheaper I think.

Jeff "and it's faster than tape" Kreines