[Tig] Archiving (was Re: Holographic Drive at NAB)

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Wed Apr 23 17:40:48 BST 2008

It's interesting that people in different disciplines are asking
similar questions at the same time and having a similar discussion.

Re: hard drive storage conditions
http://lsv.uky.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0804&L=amia-l&D=0&O=D&P=20816

Ted

On Apr 22, 2008, at 10:27 AM, Jack James wrote:

> 1826 subscribers as of April 2008
> Rich Montez supports the TIG
> http://colorist.org/wiki3/index.php/TIGNABFS08
>  ====
>

> The good thing about disk drives, especially when configured with a
> massive amount of redundancy, is that you can replace them as they
> fail. The same cannot be said for tape unfortunately. The other
> problem with tape is that they require an intermediate medium-- you
> can't load data to or from tape directly, but have to go via something
> else (typically disks).
>
> Having said that, we use LTO3 backups for all our important data,
> mainly because it is so cost-effective. Over the years (and after
> getting burnt a lot of times), the number one rule I have for data
> backup is not to depend on any one system at a time, in fact right now
> I use off-site tape backup for medium-term, RAID local storage for
> short-term and an Internet-based system for critical data, but
> ultimately I ensure that I always have (at least) two copies of
> anything I don't want to use.
>
> Jack
> ---
> Surreal Road
> Emmunicate Insatiably...
> www.surrealroad.com

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:   (530) 741-1212

tedlangdell.com. Storytelling through Broadcast Coverage and Creative
Services since 1974